View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3937618)   #72
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's the excuse used by every club racer ever - "I didn't see the flag."

The response by the clerk of the course is always the same - "you should have seen it. No excuse."

If this penalty starts a discussion in the UK about the positioning of marshal posts and the visibility of flags, then it's done us all a service.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I agree with the standard response, however I think that the discussion about the flag points would be good, this flag point position is frankly bizarre, it would be much better situated right where Bottas hit the end of the protective barrier. The driver, Max here should be trying to look across the apex down the track as far as possible, he is doing, 120 mph?, and the flag is positioned out of his line of sight.

I take your point about the FIA position on light boxes Akro, but it is difficult to follow out of position flags when you are expecting light boxes.
There is a large difference between dishing out penalties and adjusting a system so it is actually as safe as possible.

Max's engineer is not a marshal, so I guess his input is not all that relevant. Ideally the light box should have been triggered and Max should have responded, and there are several failures including Max that lead to this - (probably the penalty was about right in the end. and he was lucky not to get a worse one.
The system does however need work.

Are the flags displayed on the car's dash/wheel?