View Single Post
Old 11 Jun 2019, 16:12 (Ref:3909395)   #2288
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All a bit disappointed in myself Andy, hope to do better at Prescott, but I think there will be a few heavy hitters in the class!

After Loton the car was really muddy due to the rain so got round to cleaning it yesterday pm.
Usual routine, wheels loosened, jack up, remove wheels and all body and rub every surface top to bottom and then WD40 the rose joints.

Took a look at everything as this ritual progresses to make sure all is well, and spotted....

A damaged rear drive hub and wheel. I know this car has some torques, and hill climb tyres are very very sticky, but on one side the 3 drive pins (centre-lock wheels) have bent.

They are 14mm dia and 10mm where there fit into the drive flange where they are welded in place from the back.
I replaced these a long time ago and turned them from mild steel which was a mistake. The other side I used steel cap head bolts bolted to the flange and that side is perfect.

I did this as welding them was a pig. The drive sleeve (with the splined drive in them) are hardened.

Thus, the soft magnesium wheel hub has elongated and looks a mess where the 3 pins locate and transfer the drive to the wheel.

So..

I hope to have found a hill climb friend who can re-machine 3 fresh 14mm holes in the wheel and I can remove the soft pins and use cap head screws to replicate the other side. Issue will be will he machine the 3 holes in magnesium. Not everyone will do this.

I won't get this done for Prescott, but after that event there is a long lull in racing so that will be the time to clean things up.

There is always something with these cars.