View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2006, 09:38 (Ref:1710832)   #15
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Harry Hickling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B20-72-6 and Chassis No's

FYI - I have listed that B20-72-6 was sold to M.Maublanc (France). This would have come from the Chevron Files that Roger Andreason has. I then have it listed in 1990 as Du Toya (France). Possibly something I stumbled across. Hope that helps.

Re Chassis No's. When I spoke to Paul Owens in 1995. He was very clear:

B20 - Model Type.
71 / 72 - Year.
# - being the Chassis No (I believe for the year, but back then I didn't know anything anyway, and not enough sense to properly clarify).

So you have a range of Chassis No's.

B20-71-1
B20-72-1
B20-72-2
etc.

I believe that B20-71-1 and B20-72-1 are different cars. Making 10 definite cars raced / sold by the factory. B20-71-1 was the prototype car and you may have seen the photo's of it in the bare orange fibreglass body. No Splitters as per the Factory Cars and B20-72-9.

But to mix it up a bit the Race Records for many of the F2 events clearly have recorded Chassis No's B20-F2-2 and B20-F2-3. I don't know, but I assume if you have on the official race records that the Chassis No is B20-F2-2 then that is what would be on the car. I have all the race records and there is a definite sequence of events for each of the chassis No's.

B20-72-2 and B20-F2-2 is the same lineage of the Factory Gethin Car. Although possibly a couple of actual chassis's in this. Certainly photo's of the cars show some changes and the car was in a bad wall of death crash at Rouen. But just to confuse you all Ian Phillips writes back in March 1972 re the Watson drive at Oulton Park of B20-72-2 "being the hired works car and the fourth F2 chassis of the year". Which suggests that quite possibly some extra cars where developed. The car certainly had new body work by the end, wings and changed suspension from the original car.

B20-F2-3 was the Watson car. Probably renumbered and sold at the end. When I spoke to Paul he was quite adament that the Watson car was destroyed.

B20-72-2 has been owned by Roger Andreason for a long time and is in beautiful fully restored condition.

One last bit of trivia about B20-72-9 before I go. A couple of years back I purchased the remaining Factory FVC engine for the car. With the intention that eventually I will have it running as per Steve Millen Tasman Series Spec. As noted in the thread the Factory confirms that the car was sold new with the 1600cc BDA and after Steve Millen (Schollum Brother owned the car) it was sold to Ian Grey in 1976 who ran a Fuel Inject BDM in the car (As per current setup). From here the car went to Australia - never raced. Owned by Dick Ward in Perth, then in bits sold to myself. Now fully restored and on the race track again! At long last.