View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3209326)   #84
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
It set out what it has achieved to do. Promote motorsport,

Did it set out what the government set out for it, we dont know as the government changed and we dont know its goals. It may have set have been achieving the previus governments goals. But the new government seems to have a goal of cutting cost. This new format may very well achieve that goal.

I repeat
It saddens me that you get so excited about a motor racing event with over 20 years of history stopping.
Promote Motorsport? Sadly no.

Promote the Gold Coast? - absolutely.

I have never heard a politician claiming the money spent on such events is for the promotion of motorsport.

It is for the promotion of the local region using motorsport as a tool to attact tourists to the region.

It really does not matter what the event is as long as it attracts the money.

Luckily for us, governments have seen motosport as being ably to acheive this although there are now questions being asked if the money spent is money well spent. This applies to both the AGP and the Surfers event.

If the Queensland goverments objective is to promote the event to local tourists then V8 Supercars can deliver, but if it is to attract overseas visitors then V8 Supercars can't deliver in they way that CART did in the Nineties.

I too would be said to see the event go, but those paying for it must get the return they are seeking.