View Single Post
Old 19 May 2003, 10:56 (Ref:603345)   #12
Jensen
Racer

Jensen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
While on the subject I'd like to join in too.

How much would it roughly cost to buy a mid 90's FF? How much mechanical knowledge would I need to keep it running? Are parts ridiculously expensive? and how much does it roughly cost to take it to a track day or amateur race, and how long would i get to play with it on the track?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steven
Somewhere around £3000 - £4000 should get a fairly good 90's FF1600, good places to look are Autosport, and on the web, www.monoposto@freeserve.co.uk is a good one to try. when you get the car contact the manufacturer and get a base set-up from them, then pay someone to set it up for you, from there you have a good starting point to learn from on subjects such as Camber / Castor / Tracking / Ride height / Bump / Rake angle / Droop etc.etc.etc All things which are very important to making your machine go well. Advice would be to log all the settings from your set up guy when he is finished and then during outings make small adjustments and see how it feels, it really is the only way to learn as a owner / mechanic / driver. My first was a Van Diemen RF 85, she was fun but very difficult to work on the set up but it was my first car and along with videos, books and some friends in the trade tought me a lot of how the above is set and how it effects the car. ~A good championship to enter to race it is the Mono racing club ( see above web site address ), they also have a race at SPA !!!!
Parts can be purchased through a few outlets and second hand parts are always flying aound the forums, new can be a little expensive but relative, and average race entry would be around £150 which would give you a 20mins qual and a 15 lap race, test days are usually around £200 average.
Good luck.