View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3166445)   #25
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Couple of questions:
- Is there a good resource to read up on these Coombs cars? I don't know anything about them.
Coombs were a Jaguar dealer who were into motorsport so offered a number of upgrades for customers looking to compete their car. Here's a link to the basic info. There is more about them in the rest of the site if you hunt about : http://www.jaguarmk2.info/what_is_a_coombs_.html

Quote:
- I may be a 'chav' but I really like the louvered hood. However, what I like more is the ones I have seen with the leather hood straps. What are those from and could you add them?
You may be thinking of the earlier Jaguar XK sports cars which usually sported bonnet straps when racing. Like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:19...r_XK120_34.jpg

Quote:
- Do you think the 2" carbs reduce the value among collectors? Is there not a significant performance gain?... In other words, why?
The "triple" carb set were only used on the E-type or the later Mk 10 saloon (usually written Mk X) so anyone who knew what they were looking at would instantly know it was non-standard. Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, so an "enhancement" for some is "buggered about with" to others. Generally though, originality will get the better price amongst collectors. Hence my comment about the gear box. Similarly with the size of the carbs, the smaller ones are correct for the car, and the correct air inlet duct and manifold will only fit the smaller carbs. Again, originality is usually the most desirable. As for performance, well.... all I can say is : Live axle + leaf springs + 2 tons means you really, really wouldn't want to try driving one of these quickly unless you were a very experienced, skilled and confident driver... and even then it's quite an "experience". So unless you're going to put it on a race track, then the twin smaller carbs is quite sufficient!