View Single Post
Old 9 Aug 2018, 13:38 (Ref:3842518)   #14
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not really replying to "you" as such, more a general post about the "worst" world champion. Still don't like that term, because no world champion can be considered bad, but I don't know how else to word it. I don't think its a strawman to suggest he isn't that special when the entire thread is about world champions, who are generally considered pretty special in any discipline. You didn't say it, but the thread is kinda about it.

Remember: If DC started ahead of Hill, that isn't a lucky draw. That's he out qualified him, something he did quite a bit. And for sure you can accumulate points over your teammate by accident - for example, if your teammate has 3 car failures whilst leading, he loses 30 points (but only finished 20 behind his teammate...who gained points from his teammates failures, etc).

Now obviously this is ifs ands and buts and you can argue alternate universes until the cows come home, but it's the old thing of - championship standings don't tell the whole story. But, they are the only thing that matters.

The 1995 championship tells you DH got absolutely humped by MS. It doesn't tell you that DC matched him quite a bit, but DH was capable of some amazing comeback drives that we've never really seen DC (or JV for that matter) do.