View Single Post
Old 21 Dec 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3871823)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don’t know where you got the idea that Marlboro replacing JPS, as Prost was never Marlboro backed AFAIK

Mansell probably would have been left on the sidelines, Peter Warr would have been more than happy to drop him
I know what you mean, but Prost was a Marlboro supported driver as soon as he got into F1 with McLaren in 1980, He still had sponsorship at Renault. The only time he didn't was at the end when he returned for his 4th title season with Williams who were of course Camel backed at the time.

He was/had become their top driver in F1 by 1983 alongside Rosberg even though Wattie and Lauda were in their 'official' team at McLaren.

What would have been interesting is how the tobacco money politics would have played out if he did join Lotus who had been JPS's team for yonks. Would Marlboro have insisted on continuing to sponsor him and if so how would Lotus have handled JPS who were their major sponsor.

Mind you Senna had Marlboro in '84 and then joined Lotus so you're probably right, it wouldn't have mattered!