View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2020, 07:35 (Ref:3983177)   #55
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some thirty odd years, as a "well done" to my twin boys for gaining entrance to the schools of their own choice, I treated the family to a month's holiday in Florida. Our first stop was in Orlando, where we stayed for the first week.

That night we went to a nearby steak restaurant, and after ordering our food, the waiter brought us glasses of iced water and plonked a plate of salad in front of each of us. Not knowing any better, all four of us put the salad to the side of our cutlery and carried on waiting for our food to be delivered. This caused a problem for the waiting staff, for little did we know that in posher restaurants back then (might be the same now), because the main course is not served until you have consumed the salad. You live and learn!

On our second night, we decided to try a restaurant that advertised that it served locally sourced food, and was just around the corner from the hotel.

I can't remember what the boys and I ordered for our starters, but it would have been something plain and ordinary, something like a seafood cocktail, because we were all wimps. But my wife, being adventuress, went for deep fried, breadcrumbed alligator tail.

When our food was served, my wife went into raptures over the alligator tail, saying that it was the best thing that she had ever eaten (slight exaggeration on her part, but that was her all over - you should have seen her solicitor's correspondence on her behalf during our divorce battle), and after badgering her incessantly she finally allowed us wimps to try a little morsel of her starter.

Well, I must admit it was delicious. It reminded me of eating (those of a delicate nature should avert their eyes at this point) really succulent veal, but much, much sweeter.