View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 2022, 16:20 (Ref:4133111)   #14
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Davey View Post
I saw the apparent requirement for a resting (12 lead?) ECG for over 60s on my (National) licence application this year. I've just checked with MSUK and a resting 12 lead ECG is required. These look rather complicated to set up. Ten carefully positioned sensors are needed. I don't know what is involved in interpreting the results, it's possible the system does this automatically.

I'm now trying to contact my local GP Practice to find out if they have the kit to do this, and if so what are the cost implications for a Racing Medical. I think like many GP's they are pretty overloaded at present.

There are various ways to extend the validity of a race medical over a couple of years, and if you are under 75 then you only need a valid medical at certain ages: 70, 72, 74 then every year from 75 onwards.

I think this is the first time that I will take a race medical when I have no means of knowing myself whether I should pass or not. I always have passed in the last 50 years! But not knowing the possible outcome is not good news. Personally I don't think it's a great time for the governing body to make getting a race licence more complex, uncertain and expensive.
Suggest you speak to MR Medics....regarding the possibility of failing the test (as I did a few years back....) surely it is better to know of any potential problems. I have a friend who if he had not taken an ECG test for racing would almost certainly not be here now...so not a bad thing....