Thread: PAU HISTORIQUE
View Single Post
Old 26 May 2019, 23:31 (Ref:3906207)   #79
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just stopped for the night short of Bordoux. Bit knackard as been on the go since 5 am. Will try and explain FJ race. We had wet practices Richard was 3.5 secs quicker than anyone else .Turns up on grid and clutch pedal goes to floor . I’m in pits and the race starts but I see him being pushed into the pit entrance .,I would probably beeten Usain Bolt with my dash up to the brabham . Richard shouted “no clutch we are out”I then said drive without the beep beep beep clutch .,Pushed him to get car rolling and he got a gear and roared off to finish P5. We only had 4 hours in between races . I did a lot of pondering and me Richards Dad and Richard decided to do second race with no clutch as well. He came into pits on warm up lap. I was waiting along with many friends . Race started and we got Richard out as soon as pit lane exit light went green .,We got stuffed by safety car but he still got P2. This lad is special in all my years racing he is without doubt the best driver we have run . All my other cars finished and Team Delta had a special weekend . As I drove out of the paddock I looked back and sincerely hope this was not the last time racing at Pau.

Great story Iain.

I thought the first race might have been a sort of training exercise challenge - self imposed win from the back on a narrow street circuit.

The second one was difficult to work out anything from the timing info for the start of the race.

I would imagine that Pau is not the easiest place to drive one race without a clutch let alone two - for both driver and the car. Presumably gearbox overhaul now as well as part of the clutch service?