View Single Post
Old 4 Oct 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3931974)   #5075
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I suspect we all knew about the video and the name Bob. Nonetheless it's a great reminder of the man and the legend that is Le Mans. Thanks for bringing it back.

Whilst I was too young to be aware of Mike Hawthorn, I spent my formative years in Surrey, not too far from Farnham (about 1/2 mile from the Tongham Stock Car Track).

When I had an MG 1100 I bought my parts from the Tourist Trophy Garage in Farnham. The number of times I've driven past that "tree" outside Guildford must be enormous yet I never could find out where to stop. It was just along the road from Stag Hill Motors. What with them and the Coombs Garage the other side of Guildford, the place was a petrolhead's dream.
Peter, Mike has always been my 'motor sport hero' I was a fan of Rileys back in the day, and noted a young chap beating more modern cars in a Brooklands Riley. When he sprang to fame at the1952 Easter Goodwood I was not as surprised as many motoring journos seemed to be.

One of my fondest memories of a mis spent youth was having a chat with Mike after the 1955 Nine Hour Race. He was quite happy to chat to a couple of young lads who had cycled from Barnet to see the race.

I heard the news of his accident in a rather brutal manner, and I was off work for 3 days completely shattered by his death.

I lost a lot of 'friends' during the 1950's, and mourned them all, but only Hawthorn, affected me so badly.

Bob.