View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2015, 03:49 (Ref:3545072)   #1305
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I am still trying to figure the angst towards TUSC in this matter. TUSC wants a common platform (chassis) with the ACO in P and P-2 so as to make it possible for the two like classes/chassis to compete on both sides of the pond. It is the ACO who is trying to limit the number of chassis mfgs and pushing a spec engine, not IMSA.

L.P.
Because NASCAR. In all seriousness though, I'm in agreement with you on this one Horndawg, but the unfortunate problem is that because IMSA is the biggest loser in these proposals and they are the ones who have had 18 months of PR problems on a regular basis, it's them who get the most barbs thrown at them.

I'm still of the opinion that IMSA needs to accept that their cost-to-exposure problem requires a different approach, that they will get nowhere with these rules and the BoP approach of balancing out DP and P2 chassis isn't earning them much in the way of positive news. I still think that the best option from IMSA now is to kill the American DTM idea for good and use the Class One as the top of the series in IMSA, Class One chassis with current-generation engines. IMSA's biggest problem is the fact that its cost to exposure ratio is horrible (even worse than Indycar, and Indycar is very, very bad at that) and that there isn't a lot of way of hacking costs down now short of tossing one of the NAEC races. Thus, IMSA has to expand the series, and the ugly, fragile, expensive P2 formula is never going to get that acceptance. Time for IMSA to become the world's greatest GT series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
What you read from ACOs attitude? I understand that ACO wants more teams on the P1 privateer class to keep P2 cheap. Currently some teams are too big for P2, they should step up to P1 some day. Old school privateers, like Brun and Joest were.
Why would teams accept spending at least 2-3x the cost for the same exposure and getting run over by the factory LMP1s? Nobody is going to do it who isn't doing so already, and I don't expect Kolles' effort to be a long-time commitment knowing his history. Brun and Joest had a chance with the cars they had to win, which Rebellion and any other privateer racer hasn't got. Privateer P1s won't happen short of the factory teams all leaving, and even then it would be a long shot.