View Single Post
Old 6 Jun 2015, 08:00 (Ref:3545434)   #1308
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
My idea was to use Class One chassis and current-generation DP engines with slightly bigger displacements - up to 6400cc for naturally-aspirated engines, up to 3800cc for turbocharged ones and up to 4400cc for turbocharged diesels. I agree that the turbocharged four-bangers of the GT500 cars, as effective as they are, probably wouldn't work for IMSA.

As far as Le Mans goes, since the ACO clearly has no consideration for professional privateer racers, there is little reason IMO for IMSA to care about them. The ALMS ultimately was failing, and aside from the (admittedly absolutely brilliant) LMP1 category, where are the ACO rules working? Their P2 proposal is a horrific joke and they've lost the ability to advance GT racing to Ratel and the GT3 formula. I'm quite happy to have the GTE cars remain in IMSA, but at this point IMSA walking out on the P2 rules would probably kill them stone dead, which may end up being a huge benefit to both sides. Hindy said on MWM that he knows that people will end up run out of the sport because of those moronic rules, and on this side of the Atlantic he's even more right than he is for those in Europe. If the ACO wants to turn P2 into psuedo-spec cars to allow Oreca and Onroak to make more money, that's their call. But IMSA cannot and should not have anything to do with that insanity. With the P2/DP BoP battles having ultimately done bupkis for IMSA save cause them all kinds of political problems and angered fans and sponsors, I say just dump LMPs altogether and let the ACO figure that mess out on their own.
I hate to say it but I have to agree. IMSA is a ****ing mess as well. Talk about continuing with the DPs post 2017, while still retaining the (how many years old?) LMPCs cars... I get it, cost control and everything... but its just ridiculous. Its not entirely the ACOs fault. IMSA could (and should) have said no to these changes.
As for GTE... its a joke. Porsches racing Ferraris just like 10 years ago, and nothing has advanced since then, except in NA where they allow more cars (like the dodge viper or bmw z4) to race with 50 million waivers (just wait for the M6 GTE ), while gt3 is flourishing.
And that common lmp2 platform that has no common elements between Europe and the IMSA cars except the chassis.... no comment...