View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3797537)   #52
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
The TCR wont be as diverse, its just touring cars.
In TCR, the 800lb Gorilla is VAG. With the VW, Audi and Seat, they make up the bulk of the field for Europe. Plus with their Clubsport versions than can be switched from DSG to SEQ easily, you see guys in Europe doing one offs in the non TCR DSG series. For the US, track support comes from one place that does both VW and Audi. Mostly because they are the same car with a different body. Having that, just makes everyone gravitate toward those brands. Honda will show up and I feel that there will be a number of them. Other than that, I don't see much more. Maybe Ford.

You have to remember, when you drop $150K for just the car and another $50K for extras along with a $500K bill to run 10 races (which was GS money just 4 years ago) you will want to be in the most developed and supported car as opposed to some oddball car.

One thing IMSA has pretty much done done is told all of the BMW and Porsche people in ST that they either need to move to GS or go away. Porsche and BMW guys are not big fans of FWD and find it hard to spend that kind of coin to race an econobox. Before you all think that if by chance a Mini comes out for TCR that BMW guys will fall in love with it, you got another thing coming. As for the Mazda Miata guys, they are pretty much left out too. They mostly don't like FWD either.

In the end, if PWC had half a brain, they would really go after all of those old ST cars that are now parked or running in AER. They are TCA cars. I suspect they won't go that route as they have TCR and spec M235iR for TC. TCA will become Global MX-5 Cup with a roof class.