View Single Post
Old 28 Jun 2017, 02:07 (Ref:3747505)   #4945
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I agree that a new chassis would be coming for 2020 anyway, but they're seemingly a big departure from what we have currently thanks to the size of the cockpit and the more upright seating position. Then you take into consideration they will most likely have to carry a bigger battery pack to do the 1km on only electric at a respectable speed. All that will change the way the chassis is designed and constructed. There's still a few years to go, so we'll see what the actual regs look like in the near future, but imo it's not saving money with their proposals. Especially cutting testing and windtunnel hours. That's a mistake f1 has made and nearly no team can cut into the lead of the best (Mercedes) because running is so limited.
1km on electric itself isn't the concern in my eyes, it's that the e-motors lack top end. They're designed to fire the car out of corners, but they top out at a fairly low speed (rewatch the Toyota failure last year when it was running purely on the electric for an example). While this is a universal issue, I'm doubly concerned about it at Spa, with its remarkably fast first sector.

Although, let's remember F1 had every intention of an EV pitlane rule for 2014, and that got nixed beforehand too.

On the chassis side, I wish they'd extend them 100-150mm in width so they look proportional. It can be justified on grounds of extending side impact structures and (for the manufacturers) giving them more room for packaging.