View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2020, 16:05 (Ref:3951363)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quotes from the Motorsportmagazine.com article.
Quote:
I certainly think that the internal combustion engine has a long future and I think it has a future that’s longer than a lot of politicians realise because politicians are hanging everything on electric vehicles.

There’s nothing wrong with electric vehicles but there are reasons why they are not the solution for everyone.
I broadly agree with this.

Quote:
It might be that the next power unit we produce is the last one we do with liquid hydrocarbons
Agree. But I wonder why this should be something radically new such as a two stroke renewable setup vs. something similar to what we have now. It's my understanding from what I read elsewhere that what he is proposing is a very spec setup. So manufactures (Ferrari, etc.) probably just will not care about this unless this two stroke configuration is inline with their future product direction (which I suspect it is not). I can see these power units being very expensive when you factor it all together.

Quote:
The new engines are likely to remain hybrids but powered by synthetic fuel, made by combining hydrogen with carbon captured from the air, using surplus green energy.
What is the cost of this? Is there any infrastructure in place to support this?

Quote:
As well as the cars, this e-fuel could power the planes that carry the cars and equipment to races, making a big dent in the sport’s carbon footprint.
For now, that is a huge pipe dream and should not be used to sell this idea IMHO.

Alternative fuel that is created based upon surplus green energy? I think that may be the long term future of cargo transportation. Convert green (solar, wind, etc.) into high density energy (hydrogen or hydrocarbon) for use in mass haulers such as land, sea and air freight. But what is the state of this today? I know there are efforts to create sustainable (and drop in) replacements for jet aircraft, but I suspect this is a long way off.

If anyone is curious, there is a long running thread on https://www.f1technical.net/ about two stroke engines and the potential for them in F1 (Including recent discussion about this same article)

Richard