View Single Post
Old 20 Feb 2013, 08:25 (Ref:3207745)   #8
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Stalled, not broken, hopefully. There is no reason why the JDCC, or another name if they stopped supporting it, can't still be the UK home for Gp1, Gp2 and earler GpA cars. I can only imagine how much it costs to run something like an XJS so still believe smaller cars need to be encouraged.

I think the series for later GpA and Tourers will go it's own way without earlier stuff which is fair enough. The tyre manufacturer tie-up makes sense as they need rubber than isn't available for some cars, and if they get chance to support BTCC somewhere, why not.

Going back to tyres, I know from what Ant has said previously, that Avon slicks are not available for some Gp1 cars? It would be good if that could be sorted. Looking at the regs for the 'alternative' May event at Spa the tyre issue if very precisely worded, and finishes with- 'Tyres with modern patterns (post 1984) are forbidden'. This is great for Gp2 and GpA cars but wouldn't be for Gp1 where only alternative to slicks is modern pattern Yoko or Toyo.

This area will always struggle to get a cohesive, all encompassing championship, the cars, engines, suspension, brakes, the performance are all so disparate that one size simply won't fit all. Even the way the rules were enforced country to country throughout Europe differed. As we seem to have lost the will to run cars that rather nice, simply for the joy of running them, the need to have the "winning car" will always distort this format - which ever car/group that gives that possibility will always rise to the top to the detriment of the rest of the classes.