View Single Post
Old 15 Nov 2012, 02:54 (Ref:3166498)   #26
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the info! I look forward to seeing your progress! I'm jealous because I'd love to have a project or something to tinker on. My toys are modern and very expensive and difficult to work on. Probably not as rewarding either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post

You may be thinking of the earlier Jaguar XK sports cars which usually sported bonnet straps when racing. Like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:19...r_XK120_34.jpg
That is stunning, but I have seen pictures of Mk2 with a strap on either side of the grille. Must not be that popular though because I can't find a photo now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
The "triple" carb set were only used on the E-type or the later Mk 10 saloon (usually written Mk X) so anyone who knew what they were looking at would instantly know it was non-standard. Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, so an "enhancement" for some is "buggered about with" to others. Generally though, originality will get the better price amongst collectors. Hence my comment about the gear box. Similarly with the size of the carbs, the smaller ones are correct for the car, and the correct air inlet duct and manifold will only fit the smaller carbs. Again, originality is usually the most desirable. As for performance, well.... all I can say is : Live axle + leaf springs + 2 tons means you really, really wouldn't want to try driving one of these quickly unless you were a very experienced, skilled and confident driver... and even then it's quite an "experience". So unless you're going to put it on a race track, then the twin smaller carbs is quite sufficient!
Make car... have... less power? Does not compute.