View Single Post
Old 10 Feb 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3882995)   #222
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Yeah, I understand the instantaneous bit. Again, to use an oil rig example, the TPS is does require a very purposeful action (you cannot accidentally do it), but once you activate it, there is no wait time. The generators are off, the valves will close, the blowdown valves will open, and all of your gas is going up the flare to be burnt off.

The 919 system looks good. It's very hard to accidentally push, but very easy to activate on purpose. If a 2 action system is not allowed, then that's what I'd design my buttons to be like.
Shrouded button FTW in so many cases. I showed the Mrs - who is a practicing ergonomist - some of the steering wheel photos and she cringed.

As an aside, and linked to Akrapovic's profession, more years ago than I care to remember* I worked on a chemical plant as a trainee chemical engineer prior to going to University. One bit of the plant was a continuous furnace operation making carbon disulphide & hydrogen sulphide (so pretty noxious and toxic materials) from boiling sulphur and high pressure natural gas. Our various control room shutdown buttons were big, bright red, well signed, in cages to avoid shoulder-presses & had a two-stage operation - and were similarly instantaneous, shutting off all feeds and dumping nitrogen (and more natural gas, counter-intuitively) through the system to push everything up a flare stack.

The fire alarm was linked to it, too, which I had the misfortune to activate when a fitter set fire to a sump under a storage tank while doing some grinding. The two-stage bit in that case was me thinking "do I automatically shut the plant down costing two days production? Hell yes!" before hitting the break glass...

*that was pretty much bang on 30 years ago. Lordy.