Thread: AIM Dataloggers
View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2011, 22:54 (Ref:2860350)   #9
Graham_T
Rookie

Graham_T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The custom sensor screen part of the Race Studio set up is one of the things that reminds you that you are dealing with a system that costs significantly less than its professional counterparts. It is not a smooth or simple process, but it is possible. You need to create a custom sensor definition with its own unique name and it sounds like this is what you have done already.

But the excitement does not end there. You have then to use that definition in the AIM Systems Manager - Channels part of the program. Choose the channel number that your custom sensor is plugged in to and, if you have done things correctly, your custom sensor should appear in the drop down box (using the name that you gave it) in the 'Sensor Type' column. Select this as your sensor type. So now channel number x shows your sensor definition name as the 'sensor type'.

Next you need to transmit this to the logger. Once this is done, your sensor should appear if you look at the system on line. I have never failed to measure output from a custom sensor if it has a proper definition, that definition is chosen as the sensor type and it has been transmitted to the logger. I have had problems with the system failing to add the sensor to the drop-down list immediately (but it will generally appear on the second or third attempt) or because I forgot to select and transmit the new sensor definition.

Hope this helps. I agree with Casper that the documentation is woeful, but life is not simple elsewhere. Try using something like Pi or Stack, where even getting access to the software that you have paid for is not that simple and then you might not be so peed off with AIM. On the plus side, if you find a bug in the AIM programs and write them a polite, constructive, well documented email, the bug gets fixed. They never own up to the problem, but it mysteriously disappears in the next release. They are also happy to try to solve any problems that you might have and will listen and respond to suggestions for improvement. They are, to my mind, simply the best value for money by far. And I don't work for them or get paid by them. But I can be bought....

GT