View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2014, 05:30 (Ref:3369959)   #260
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
F1 has always had a tyre and/or fuel conservation aspect. If you want to dump all that, fine, but if you do that, you've created something entirely new.

F1 is something with everything in it, endurance aspects, sprint aspects, strategy, conservation and flat out.

When you had multiple tyres and indeed more leeway with regs .eg V8,V10,V12 you could vary it abit. Each car had more different potentialities and strengths and so on. Now it's regulated much tighter, cars are more predictable.

Think of the old WRC, fast, tough, required stamina (Safari Rally ) but stuff not on the scale of the rally raids.
I agree that there has always been a fuel conservation aspect and a tyre redemption issue in looking after your tyres. In fact I'd prefer no pit stops and a set to run for a full GP and be looked after.

This would be easy to set up by only allowing manual spanner tyre changes or do what NASCAR does and limit the number of people over the wall, so tyre changes required much more time and in effect having to change tyres cost you more time than it saved by running the tyre use as if it was a two leg sprint....

But my point was that there is a lot to think about in the issues that McNish brought up and I simply wondered if some of them were not appropriate to GP competition.