View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4028480)   #2554
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Since when has enforcing the law or rules become over zealous? Have you ever tried to take a piece of fruit that you got on an aircraft but haven't yet consumed through the immigration area when you arrive in somewhere like Australia. They would have it off you immediately, and possibly fine you as well!

They are just enforcing the rules, just like we now have to because Nigel Farage wanted to leave the EU, and Cameron at al wouldn't face him down.

The point surely is that whereas it is indeed the "letter of the law", in reality the zealous enforcement of it, when it is patently obvious that there is no health risk - as the goods would have been identical a few days earlier and waved through with no thought of a check - does smack of "sour grapes", so to speak, from a jobsworth. Reports that the customs officials were commenting "welcome to Brexit" merely emphasise that. Ironically of course at least one of the people who reported having his butty nicked was a Polish resident.

However, its a minor irritant and won't affect me when I drive off my Stena line crossing as I'll have eaten on the boat