View Single Post
Old 31 May 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3737661)   #352
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Re: Nostalgia

Indy's resident Donald Davidson summed it up very eloquently in a podcast recently when asked "What was the best era of IndyCar in his opinion"

I'll paraphrase, but he said that an answer would be more or less meaningless. He said that our peak love and adoration for something is 4-5 years after first discovering it. By that time, you have become knowledgeable enough to truly appreciate it, you accept it for what it is and you accept everything that has come before it. From then on, it's easy to fall into the trap of becoming disillusioned with any changes to that thing you first fell in love with.

I found that to be quite profound and it totally rings true with my relationship to Formula One, for example. I've fallen out of love with it, but I remember the mid 00's with great fondness. An era that alot of older people deride as being one of the worst era's.
I would say it was better in the past for concrete reasons. The diversity of machinery for one. What's not to like about a Wildcat? Or an Eagle? Let's not pretend it's just a psychological delusion as to why people prefer the past.

But what's foolish is to live in that era and refuse the real and genuine joys of this era. And if some fans weren't at the edge of their seat with the Sato Castroneves ding-dong, then the malfunction is clearly with them.