View Single Post
Old 13 Oct 2021, 20:18 (Ref:4078353)   #167
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Thanks for that data and for the work you put into making it. I think it proves that the Cupra was definitely a big improvement on the 2019-20 VW CCs, but I'm sure nobody was denying that. I don't think it has been as good as the 2017 version, as I think the overall grid was stronger then than now (although this is a little subjective) and Hill and Epps scored more points than Goff and Taylor-Smith. Hill was very unlucky that season and deserved far more points than he got. Also, I rate 2021 Jack Goff at least as highly as 2017 Jake Hill. 2018 is harder to evaluate as Mike Bushell, their strongest driver that year (as Hill didn't get many good results in the first half of the season, and the VW looked better at the end), is probably not quite on Goff or Hill's level, although I think he is very good and hope he gets the third Cupra drive in 2022. (Rockingham, of course, isn't included there but I think that was Bushell's best result). But I am going to say that the Cupra probably is better than it, so would rank them,
1. VW 2017
2. Cupra 2021
3. VW 2018
4. VW 2019
5. VW 2020

The slightly concerning thing is that the Cupra seems to be going backwards in terms of performance, when you would expect a new car like that to be going forwards, but I think your data shows it definitely has not been a disaster. I think we'd all like it to be a bit more competitive, and for Goff and Smith to win races again, but I think maybe that was an unrealistic expectation for the Cupra. It is important to remember that without Team HARD, Jack Goff and Aron Smith wouldn't be on the grid at all.

It has now been suggested on reddit that Josh Cook may replace Jack Goff next year at Team HARD. I think this would be a disaster, as Cook would go from being a front-runner to a midfield driver, and Goff would disappear from the grid entirely, so I am hoping this does not happen and Cook either stays at BTC or goes to Toyota, with Goff staying at HARD.