Thread: Carfest
View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2013, 12:09 (Ref:3283291)   #42
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanclarke View Post
I have personally contacted Margaret and have found out now that I am not successful in volunteering on this occasion. This thread is in no way meant as a dig at Margaret or anyone else in particular.

However in cases like this, I'm sure that Margaret doesn't want several hundred marshals contacting her asking if they are needed. I'm sure that she has better things to do.

I'm trying to keep pro-active here and wondered if there is a better system that we can have when volunteering for these types of "other" events.

As we all know, assumption is the mother of all ****-ups.

I don't want to assume either way that I have been accepted or have not been accepted for my duties - surely it would be best to be told either way.

I've experienced this, where tickets have gone missing in the post, so I assumed I was not wanted, then got questioned as to why I didn't turn up.

Surely we all have email addresses that are far more reliable than the postal system.
If we have to rely on the arrival of a ticket by post to determine if we are to attend an event, then the system is bound to fail right from the start.

Is there not an online website (www.marshals.co.uk) where we can check a list of marshals that are required for a specific event. That way we can just look at list whenever we want to, stop bothering already busy people and become much more informed.

All we need posting is the list that is already created and sent out with the tickets. If anyone is bothered by having their name publicly displayed on a website, then password protect the area or just publish names as A. Smith rather than full names.

There has to be a better way...
Websites and e-mails are not really necessary. The only meetings I can think of where you may get "knocked back" are the GP and Goodwood. There may be an issue with some BTCC meetings as they are getting seriously oversubscribed (Oulton is a case in point).

Both the GP and Goodwood send "thanks but no thanks" letters several weeks (or months) beforehand.

If you apply for a clubbie and haven't received tickets a few days beforehand get in touch with the organising club. I can't see any reason why you would be turned away from any of these events.