View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1529998)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Fascinating to read the posts relating to the 50's and 60's!!

Admittedly this is an area that i would like to 'gen' up on a bit more!

Currently got a Moss book on the go, interesting insight into his early days as well as the period upto and after his awful accident at Goodwood.

As my history only really goes back as far as the late 70's and early 80's i'd like to think a few races from that era stand out.

Dijon '79 and Austria '82 are certainly worthy of any list but also
Gilles Jarama win in '81 was a demonstration of tactical driving from the top drawer from a guy who was only thought to be a pedal to the metal driver.

I also think that Mansell's Hungary win of '89 made for a gripping GP - his charge through the field to outfox Senna was thrilling.

Perhaps Paul Ricard 1990 is a good example too - drama at the start - good debut drives from 3 drivers at the time and Capelli oh so nearly clinching his first win after a good ploy to keep him out longer - before Prost gobbled him up near the end.

Estoril 1985 was surely a landmark race if not a truly classic GP?