Old 4 Apr 2015, 18:06 (Ref:3523871)   #293
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Isn't IMSA looking into a separate GT3 series? I fully expect an increase of GTD runners next year, especially at the start of the year enduros, I'm taking it that a lot of Am drivers (especially from Europe) have those races on their bucket list and now they can have a go with their existing car or hire a ride in familiar equipment.

It might also be more cost effective for teams as they can use and rent out the exact same car for both PWC and TUSC. I think were gonna see quite a bit of cross-over between the 2 (maybe 3 by next year?) series. Also supporting a couple of stand alone GTD (GT3) races running the regular 2h45 duration.
Coach Ep: Not so sure I agree with you on that ! Let me First get one thing out of the way . I am not trying to profile anyone here just easier for me to use certain words . So on my part no offense is intended .
I was told by IMSA that a third ? series at this time was Not going to happen . It was not cost effective . It was however considering having 1 maybe 2 events for GT3 and the Conti series as stand alone events . I had posted my comments previously . I would love to see this happen particularly at Lime Rock . But ultimately that would be the race promoters choice to decide .
As far as Europeans AM's go Yeah we might see it at Daytona , Sebring , Petite at Road Atlanta , Though I don't see that much happening at " the Glen " The 3 mentioned Enduro events to my way of thinking do represent a Global Mindset . While the Glen is certainly an American Institution ,I don't think it carries the recognition that the other 3 do .
I suppose we will always see some European , South American , Asian ? drivers in DP and GTLM . Though I can't seem to recall any Asian PRO drivers venturing over here lately to do such .
As far as European AM drivers go , Yes for 2016 and beyond it would be great to see that happen and to some extent may bring awareness to how they stack up against us . Again as far as the present GTD class goes I just don't recall if the european Am drivers have made a presence or not .
In the same context we can probably count on one hand the number of AM drivers that have competed in Europe in the GT3 class at least in the past few years . As far as USA AM drivers having gone to any Asian Series I am very much inclined to think that number may be closer to O .
The other thing that often confuses me is that Many times when you read PR releases or interviews with South American drivers they almost always seem to indicate their chosen path is to go to Europe . Why not the USA ? Perhaps their goal is Single seater open wheel . It all depends on " How much Funding they are bringing with them " I suppose .
As to your comments about PWC To me a majority of the at least 5 teams in PWC to a great extent are using PRO drivers that should really surprise no one .
As far as AM drivers go with the exception of LM which is the top of the totem pole in sportscar racing . Yes you might see some AM drivers with the $$$'s doing a few European events But how many "Teams " at the GTD / GT3 level would pack up their equipment and do a Major event at a track like say " SPA " I don't recall any doing that .
Strangely the one person that comes to mind is Christina Neilson ? coming over through AM / TRG doing the whole series ? Though I don't know if that is through Funding or she bring the sponsorship ?