Thread: LM24 LMGT's @ Le Mans
View Single Post
Old 14 Apr 2004, 14:00 (Ref:939469)   #20
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please don't think i opened this thread just to attack GT cars. I regularly attend British GT rounds, and Donnington's openers were stunners, but since my first visit to Le Mans in 1988 i have grown an appreciation of Sportscars as they should be, ie, thoroughbred, unique and amazingly powerfull. From what i remember, GT's WERE actually first invited as grid fillers, when Toyota and Peugeout were the only interested parties. They again got turned away when the top classes ( prototypes and GTS ) gained strength in 1999. See Link here.
http://racingsportscars.t35.com/phot...999-06-13e.jpg
My point is that once , as some suggest, the top classes wain, GT cars will again come out of the woodwork to race at the biggest race in the world, but whilst there are enough Top class cars, they don't need to be allocated 15 spots as they occupy this year. RFH and other prototype teams have invested far more ( i imagine ) in their cars than the GT off the shelf teams have, and must feel absolutely gutted to miss out to an endless list of Porsches. If GT must exist at Le Mans, give the class 6-8 spots, not 15. This is only my personal viewpoint and i don't mean to offend anyone. Anyway, who cares, Group C will again be present in 8 weeks time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!