Thread: Chevron B20
View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1710847)   #16
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard Parsons described his B20 as 'ex Watson' in 1977. [See MN 9.6.77 p.13] This car also known earlier to belong to Nelson Todd, so it looks as though it survived.

I think ten built, including the 71 model that is used by Brown at Bogota. Agree with Harry that the works cars rebuilt into customer cars. For that reason we don't need more than 10 in all - if we assume that many more, where do they go. At the moment B20s seem remarkably self-contained and explicable.

I have to say that I don't completely trust the plates that works Chevron F2 cars turn up with at meetings. The car that Gethin uses at Thruxton is described by contemporary reports as the car he used at Mallory and tested before then, but it seems to have a different plate - the plate that is now on the ex Skeaping F3 car, and which makes sense on that car as the first 1972 announced and built. The situation is worse on B18s, but it seems that Derek Bennett wasn't that interested in having clear identities for cars and that when dealing with works cars [or even semi-works Opert cars as late as 1977] we need to be cautious about what was written down for the plate because the relationship between that label and the car it's attached to can be a bit tenuous.
[Two examples beside the Gethin B20 are the Opert works B29 at Zolder late in 75, which F1R notes, I believe accurately, but is actually the plate for what is by then a car running Atlantic in Canada, and Galica's car at Donington in 78, which is shown in the works build records as an Opert team car, again for North America.]

Chris