Thread: Chevron B20
View Single Post
Old 19 Sep 2006, 01:51 (Ref:1713347)   #20
Steve Marschman
Rookie

Steve Marschman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harry and I have exchanged email messages in the past, and I believe the car I have sitting here in my garage is B20-72-3. I called Fred Opert about it, but he was less than talkative (probably has too many people calling him about old cars). This car is the one with the brass tag on the top of the roll loop that lists a number of "72FB14." It also has the ugly 1970's air brushed paint scheme that you can see on race-cars.com archive (http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/che.../72fb14pp.htm). The car is claimed to have a B27 nose, but if it is, it has been modified. I am not sure how to tell if the front end is actually carrying B27 components, perhaps the brake rotors are updated (vented vs solid???). The rear wing appears to be original but is now hung on a hand-made aluminum (sorry, aluminium) sheet affair that looks pretty frail.

I am slowly restoring this car. I am in the process of building a BDA engine for it. The car came with a Ford LA block (sans crank, rods, and pistons) and a Brian Hart big valve head. While I would like to build the Lotus, I am advised against it due to the ability to float the valves and bend everything all to pieces (which, I probably would stupidly do!).

Well, this message is getting too long...
Steve