Thread: Books Le Mans Annuals (merged)
View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1198826)   #74
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello antr,

I am grateful for your involvement. I apologise to you, Simon C and all forum members if I am indeed seen as a nisance, but I am an avid book collector where Le Mans is concerned and when Simon posted his comments I was shocked to think that for many years I had been led to believe that English versions were never printed for the years involved. Now I can read French, but with difficulty, particularily when the subject becomes technical, so purely for the benefit of being able to read far more easily the history of these races, I would very much like to own the English versions. I really am not interested in owning them purely for their perceived rarity. The recent sale price of one of these books is indeed quite ridiculous.

All I wanted was for Simon to help me. I was so surprised to think that books that are so rare were on sale very recently at the race. The booksellers that I have contacted on both sides of the Atlantic are defiant. Never, ever, have they seen or heard of them, and having received a blunt reaction from one in the USA to effect 'show me evidence and I will believe you' was why I asked if Simon would oblige with a scan of a page or two from the copies he and his father own. I really don't think that is causing a fuss. There is evidence all over the place on this forum of help, guidance etc. from member to member, and I thought that I was not asking too much. I would readily be proactive if I had information on a topic that would assist someone.

So I ask if I can have some help that will go a very long way in changing the minds of dealers. I may then obtain some cooperation from them in locating copies. At present they are not interested.

Thank you.

John

Last edited by jna; 12 Jan 2005 at 10:19.