View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2545510)   #55
V8Bobby
Rookie

Australia
V8Bobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Explain to me how your above statements are sustainable for australian motorsport and V8SA?
Of course every event can't be a street race, but every event needs to become an 'Event'.

Winton - the year they didn't run the V8's, they actually made more money. If this circuit is more financially viable without them, then they should be concentrating on the other classes. Winton is a great circuit that is booked out every day of the year and makes money. As far as V8's are concerned, it is just too far out of the way to attract a decent crowd to enable the circuit to recoup their costs of staging the round.

VESA - No matter what we all think (hey, I am a motorsport purist), the sport is where it is today because of money. An Adelaide or Townsville or (we will see) Homebush is going to attract a much larger crowd than a Phillip Island. More people equals more money. Recouping the sanction fee by the promoter is easier, selling naming rights to an event is easier.

Don't forget that the teams only survive through sponsorship. At the end of the day, sponsors will pay according to how many of their potential customers they can 'touch' and the difference they think the sponsorship will make to their bottom line. Bigger crowds and viewing audience, the more reasons teams have to justify the $$$ they are demanding.

I also prefer to watch permenant circuits, but street races work because they can be placed in an existing large population, near public transport and easy access for corporate guests. PI is a fantastic circuit. Problem is, it is located 150km from Melbourne - hence the low crowd a week or so ago. Anyone that was there will say the event didn't have a lot of 'atmosphere'.

What rounds are staged as an 'event' or 'festival'? Darwin, Adelaide, Townsville, Hamilton, Indy. No coincidence that these are also the best attended events and the ones most people would like to go to (Except of course Bathurst, but that race speaks for itself!).