Old 7 Dec 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3176247)   #24
usracereport
Rookie

United States
Boston, MA
usracereport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
We do have some great stages in the US but there is no way any US event could host, afford, have the logistics to host a round of the WRC.

Also, and not to thread jack, the following is not huge when you consider the population. There is talk of Canada hosting an event somewhere in Quebec but once again financially it would be really hard plus no local entrants (no WRC cars here) plus Rally America isn't FIA affiliated.

So back to the thread, that is why GRC works in the US.

Mark
Fat Yellow Pig
Plus X Games/ESPN offer the only real mainstream rally exposure in the US. I don't think the WRC would ever have considered that as a legitimate option, even when it was still primarily running the Special Stage format. It would've been nothing more than a glorified all-star race, wouldn't have counted for points I'm sure, wouldn't have been worth it to any of the parties involved.

Anyways, back to the Hyundai thing: as I understand it the brand is done with North America for the moment. They were successful here with RMR, they accomplished all their goals, they've got brand awareness up, now they want to focus on raising it elsewhere. I could be wrong but at the very least I doubt you'll see them in anything (or anything similar to) RMR competed in.