View Single Post
Old 8 Sep 2021, 12:16 (Ref:4072600)   #5
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always find it interesting to read comments about how good a race or track is, and wonder if there is any correlation between the perceived quality of a track and the amount of overtakes witnessed.

With credit to racefans.net, the following five GP's lap charts give a pictorial representation of overtakes.

The first chart is the Dutch GP from 2021. With an average score of 7 in the 'rate' thread, comments ranged from 'Love the Zandvoort track. Gets a seven from me.' to 'Seriously? This was a snooze fest.'

The second chart averaged an 8 in the 'rate' thread. Comments from 'Agreed – the best GP I've watched for ages' to 'However the FIA have made a farce of the race. Action on track meh'.

The third chart averaged a 4.5. Comments - 'Utterly boring.' to 'It was a good solid race.'

The fourth chart averaged an 8. Comments - 'Tactically intriguing, some decent racing and a tense finish' to 'As usual, a full hour and half is wasted doing very little in preparation for a few quick laps at the end'.

Finally, the fifth chart averaged a 2. Comments - 'My god, that was boring.' to 'Very Dull track. Very Dull race.'

When looking at lap charts, it seems strange that people were more positive towards the race that led to the third chart than the fifth. The conclusion I draw at the moment is that for ten-tenths contributors to be more content, a race needs to have:

A nice looking, 'old' track that gives an occasional overtake.
A lot of overtakes, especially if they occur in close proximity to each other in terms of race distance.
Changes of position in the top 4 or 5 places throughout a race, particularly if they occur on track not in the pits.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture1.PNG   Capture2.PNG   Capture3.PNG  

Capture4.PNG   Capture5.PNG