View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2019, 05:13 (Ref:3874392)   #3
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I post this to just point out that every era has its flaws, but are all usually remembered with rose tinted glasses.
And the politics was just as important all through the various “Golden Ages.”

Quote:
I'm not excited about bop determining anything this year, but I will enjoy the racing as it is, knowing that in 20 years we will probably look at this era as a pretty cool period.
I came to the same conclusion not too long ago.

I Really dislike the primacy of BoP …. In fact, when the merger was first announced, Scott Atherton and Scot Elkins said they wanted there to be Zero room for innovation in the rules … and I knew we were doomed. They are businessmen and they see racing as “sports entertainment.” Grand Am was the same way … I had hoped ti would change with the merger, but the culture of control won out.

So … my choices were to give up on racing … or to enjoy it for what it did offer.

A sports car screaming around the banking at Daytona or struggling for grip exiting Turn Five at Sebring, are the same whether I am watching historic racing or single-make series or LMP3 or whatever. Good driving is still good driving. 200 mph is still fast.

Quote:
On the dp front, is anyone else concerned that 3 of the four manufacturers are Japanese? Not to be dark or anything, but a natural disaster severely damaged a sports car program previously.
yeah … if only we could get, say, a German automotive giant involved.

Quote:
Would be nice to see a manufacturer from a different region join in.
Mazda, Honda, and Nissan have factories in the U.S. and even if Godzilla Does lay waste to Japan, they could keep up with their racing programs. Toyota runs its sports car program out of Germany, I believe. Dallara is Italian but has a factory in Indiana. Oreca and Oak are French, and who knows where they have factories.

We would need a whole suite of earthquakes, tornadoes, meteors, and giant monsters to stop sports car racing.

Quote:
Is it not worrisome that something like that could knock out half the dp field ajd create an actual cadillac parade?
Sorry, but that is going to happen anyway.