View Single Post
Old 13 Feb 2020, 12:34 (Ref:3957415)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Really? Most of the big races started off as commercial enterprises or to showcase the hosts or technology - take Monaco and Le Mans for two. The original Grands Prix - the city to city races - were as fiercely contested by the host cities as the cars.

F1 is not a sport. Never has been, except possibly for a short time in the 50s when the Bulldog spirit was there in the British teams. But they never really succeeded until a commercial genius like Chapman came along and use racing to promote his road cars.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
From what I've read, historically a lot of races were started up by racing enthusiasts. As the event became established and grew, it then became a commercial enterprise.

Given the circumstances, postponing the race is the right decision and cuts the Chinese race organisers a lot of slack, in what are very difficult circumstances. As for the race eventually being held, at some future date, 'm not going ti hold my breath.