View Single Post
Old 2 Jun 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3083761)   #57
HaydenFan
Racer

HaydenFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
HaydenFan, were you in karting? If so, did you feel that your karting career had run it's course?
We did the local karting scene for a few years. I did a few of the national races, but not a full season. Picked up a title and some nice trophies. Ran the Rock Island GP one year. That's the biggest race I've ever done. But we figured for the costs of moving up to the national level, and we'd have to buy a gig with a team as set-ups where we struggled with, why not just make the bigger jump to cars? IMO, karting doesn't teach you much about racing, other than the sport itself. The actual feeling between a kart and a single seater racer were completely different. I learned most about running with other people on the track, which is something I think many drivers struggle with (i.e. Massa).

Plus, even when I started karts at 14, I was over 5'10, 160ish pounds. I was the biggest kid in any class I raced, and was one of the biggest guys racing at the track.

Some said due to my size that I should give sports cars and touring cars a go, but I love single seater racing. I have tested an ARCA car around a road course for a few laps, but I didn't like it.