Thread: New SUVs
View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 2019, 10:40 (Ref:3914088)   #222
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Assuming the word Sport in SUV still refers to the vehicle being suitable to deliver you and equipment to destinations for activity sports like mountain biking, kayaking, mountaineering etc, then some off road ability a must, IMO!

My max height suggestion was so that it will still fit in UK 2 metre clearance car parks, or go through the fast lane at French peages!

Anyway, it’s all getting a bit complicated for me......
I have just read a couple of articles about SUVs, and there are some good points made regarding why some (here) seem to be undesirable of the current SUVs, and also why a lot of SUVs should actually be referred to as CUVs.

What is an SUV?

'You could sling your surfboard in the back and reach deserted beaches; take your skis to isolated slopes; or transport your sheepdog across steep fields to recover a lost herd.'

'the term SUV can still be applied to big and rugged cars capable of scaling different terrains, [...] But the name can also apply to smaller and far less capable vehicles [...] However, these are really crossovers. Think of them as more like a tall hatchback than a capable SUV.'

'[CUVs] use the mechanical parts from family cars, which are designed mainly for tarmac roads.'

THE RISE OF THE SPORTS UTILITY VEHICLE

'why do [modern SUV] detractors dislike them so much?'
'these cars end up being a Jack of all trades and a master of none'
'It boils down to this: they’re not brilliant cars because they’re not designed for long distance like an Audi A4. They’re not brilliant off-roaders because they lack the robustness of design, the technology or the power of a Range Rover. And they’re too big, bulky and awkward for town driving. So what exactly is the point?'
'Car enthusiasts buy cars not just for the looks but how they feel when taken to the ragged edge of the car’s limitations. But we’re not all car enthusiasts. What most of us – especially those with kids and grand kids – want is something practical. Something safe. Something economical and credit crunchingly reasonable to buy. Four-by-fours it seems are the new family car. They are the 21st Century’s answer to the Ford Sierra.'
'SUVs scream rugged durability and dependability in the face of [...]leaves on the driveway.'