View Single Post
Old 31 May 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2888622)   #2871
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Aston chose the straight-six turbo because future road cars will use such a configeration, presumably, including future GT cars.

All engines have their pros and cons, the Aston V12 was heavy with a high CG, while much of the petrol P1 field use high reving atmo V8's, engines it was claimed couldn't complete 24hrs before the RS Spyder and HPD proved otherwise.

This is restrictor racing, all configerations are meant to have an equal chance, none have benefited more from this stance than diesel's.
my opinion is: AMR/prodrive thougth that as to develope an open sport car was cheaper than a coupè one, to develope a L6 engine with a turbo was much more simple and cheaper than develope a 3.4 V8 too. I don't believe in the "future road cars configuration" because a lmp1 engine hadn't and hasn't NOTHING to share with a road car engine, and aston martin produces only hand-made limited series luxury supercars... i don't think they will use that kind of engine in their future road car

The same reason was the use of the V12 from dbr9 in the lola aston. Why develope a new engine (and spend money) when you got already a powerfull one? (powerfull doesn't mean automaticly competitive)

I said a lot of times that AMR has made some mistakes

1. had to develope better the new car before the release, so the stupid/sad scenes at paul ricard and le mans test could be avoided

2. if aston martin hasn't any knowledge in making some kind of engines, then buy some judd V8, change something and call it AMR-judd (oreca since last year used AIM engines, that simply were modified judd V10).
Maybe is not the most competitive engine in the roster, but at the least you can use more than 300hp to make it run...

3. consequences of point 1, this year the 2 lola coupè could be used in the meanwhile that the new car had a better development.