View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2367037)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The trouble with the Camaro IROC-Z was probably that the 5.7 version was only made with an auto trans and the 5 litre with a T5 manual not capable of taking a lot of torque. Dunno if he would have been allowed to change that in the regs though. Also you need to get rid of that torque arm bolted to the gearbox or risk snapping off the tail housing with disasterous consequenses (I know I am the only other mug to road race one this side of the pond!). Once you have got around that the car is not so bad and could have been made competitive IMHO especially if he could have used the 5.7 with manual transmission. The other similiar one would have been the Mustang that was raced at the time.

As far as the XR4i goes we had one out with us in ModProds about the same time, a very nicely prepared car by Andrew MacKenzie who also had a go in BTCC as a privateer in a Pugeot. We allowed him to de-siamese the exhaust ports on the engine which probably made it a fair bit more effiecient over what presumably you would have had to run in Group A. It would'nt really get on the pace of a good SDI though.