View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2777286)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm. That description of the Joisten/Dubos accident brought back some memories of an 'almost' incident I didn't quite have on the M1 some years ago.

Heading home from on a dark winter evening after the rush hour I joined the almost deserted motorway right behind the only other car on the road which insisted on running in lane three .. so I followed. Closely.

We crested the brow and started a downhill run a few hundred meters after I joined and I noticed a car on the hard shoulder facing the wrong way, headlights full on and hazard flashers going. Strange, I thought, I wonder what that is all about .... and at that moment I just caught a glimpse of some earth in the carriageway, half an exhaust system and then a dark coloured Capri in lane 2, facing the wrong way with no lights left.

No brake lights from the car in front so he or she had not seen it either - I was in the Dubos seat, no chance to do anything else being completely unsighted and even distracted by the attempts of the other car on the shoulder to warn on-coming traffic.

We, the car in front and I, carried on at hardly abated speed (well, what else was there to do?) and I remember muttering a few words to myself, along the lines of 'Gosh, that was close'. Perhaps not those exact words though.

Thanks Marcus. Another excellent, if somewhat sad, post that reminds us just how much things have changed in terms of racing car and racing safety in the last 40 years. Road cars too of course.