Thread: DTM DTM 2020
View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2020, 08:46 (Ref:3971275)   #137
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Yeah, I don't remember details of it but this is true, he was sort of unhappy with DTM/ITC getting stronger and stronger and saw it as sort of a threat to Formula 1's position.
Bernie initially 'endorsed' it after ITR lobbied him to help get FIA status for '96. ITC was initially scheduled for 3 years as a full FIA series.

HW Aufrecht desperately wanted to go global and had lurid visions of a NASCAR type set up but possibly took it too far from its German (and selected European races based roots) too quickly.

There was definitely appetite for it as the home and British crowds showed. There must have been serious intent from other manufacturers too. Aufrecht often mentioned Alfa, Merc, Opel being joined by 2 or 3 other makes which was allegedly Audi and Ford (Jaguar) Then Alfa and Opel pulled the plug with little notice during that first season both citing costs outweighing the benefit of racing outside Europe.

The Japanese round provided great racing and i'm sure it was deliberately on the calendar to try and get local makes to join. Toyota/Lexus had been mooted very strongly cause of their strong German automotive links.

I think it was catch 22 for the makes. High tech engineering, huge marketing platform, big name drivers great for domestic PR, but the cost involved was for an international level campaign. The Calibra, and to a lesser extent the E202 and 155 weren't models marketed much in Japan or Brazil!
That could have been dealt with to some extent by using local branding as Opel did by branding the Calibra as Vauxhall at Donington in '95.

Then of course Class 2 latterly Supertouring racing was getting huge. Most makes were drawn to that as they could see the same product in multiple countries for far less costs. BMW, Audi and Ford had all chosen that over Class 1 even though all 3 had got as far as prototype cars iirc?

Overall a great shame ITC didn't get fully off the ground. It had great potential...