View Single Post
Old 14 Mar 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3890378)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Nice intro, just a couple of minor points to correct the record, Jack Brabham's Cooper Bristol was front engines, and you have Lex Wexford instead of Davison as winning 4 times with Schumacher.
Thanks for that, John. I have now seen that it was apparently mid-engined: https://primotipo.com/tag/1955-australian-grand-prix/

Jack Brabham returned to Oz from his first season in Europe replete with a self-built Cooper T40 Bristol, winning the Port Wakefield race in the 2 litre, 150bhp, 1100lb, mid-engined car. Was it the first time a ‘modern era’ post-war mid-engined car won a national Grand Epreuve?

I think I invented Lex Wexford, adding in an 'ex'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post

Incidentally, Jack Brabham sold his Cooper Bristol to help fund his move to the UK, assuming that cars over there would be much more competitive, but regretted that and said his Australian car that he'd spent years developing would have thrashed the ones in Britain.
Thanks for that story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Great intro RB but can you clarify this sentence?
Yes, I did indeed mean that Eddie Irvine is the only driver to have taken his first Formula 1 win in the Australian Grand Prix.

After writing all the stuff, work beckoned and I should have made time for proof-reading.