Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2019, 00:13 (Ref:3898499)   #3457
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Nice little bit of miss direction from Ross Brawn saying that we should not experience a similar level domination by Mercedes in this years' championship after Mercedes wins the first three races as Williams displayed in 1992 after it won the first three races of that season.

Would it be uncharitable to point out to Mr Brawn that similar domination to Williams levels in 1992 should be a relief following Mercedes' hybrid era form.

1992 Williams won 62% of the races and Mansell won 56% of the races.

2014 Mercedes won 84% of the GPs
2015 Mercedes won 84% of the GPs
2016 Mercedes won 90% of the GPs
2017 Mercedes won 60% of the GPs
2018 Mercedes won 52% of the GPs.

Are we trying to get out of pushing through meaningful rule change responsibility Mr Brawn?

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/no-fe...r-brawn-221562

Mercedes has won over 74% of the hybrid era GPs. Mansell won 56%(9/16) of the GPs in 1992, Lewis has won 51% (53/103) of the GPs in the last 5 years!
Those stats don’t demonstrate the whole picture either. I suppose neither naratives are served in the article and then the stats!

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/35143...s-in-1992.html
Quote:
"It was down to a superior technical package in the era of active suspension, to the extent that Mansell brought home a further two wins before Ayrton Senna delivered one of his trademark miracle performances in Monaco, which momentarily interrupted an incredible run of wins," Brawn said in F1's official weekend debrief.

"However, despite the statistics being racked up by Mercedes, I don't believe that 2019 will follow the same script as '92. The three consecutive one-two finishes scored by Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas are definitely down to a team that is operating to perfection at the moment, with a top-notch technical package, but it's also fair to say it is up against stronger opposition that was Williams back in '92."
The domination in 1992 and the recent Mercedes domination are very different. 1992 Williams were much more dominant in pure speed. Recent Merc domination has come with almost bullet proof reliability and consistency, but much less of a speed advantage. In 1992 the six lost races were down to reliability, tyre problems and crashes. So from that point of view Brawn is right.

In the British GP Mansell was 2.7s quicker than the first non-Williams car of Senna! I very much doubt that we shall see that kind of domination this year.

I do however think that Mercedes will continue to be relentless and could well score another high proportion of wins to fuel your win ratio statistic. It is indeed domination.

As to why he said it? I don’t think Brawn penned it with some great ulterior motive and was desperate to try and make something fit his narrative. There was a stat that matches 1992 so worth a bit of history. He has to say something for the weekend brief I guess.

He’s added something that is way more relevant to the dominate again thread