View Single Post
Old 13 Aug 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3922558)   #98
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Verstappen may have decided to only retain and therefore use his Dutch passport, but has he actually gone as far as to have his Belgian nationality revoked?

There is a big difference. Almost like a man deciding to self identify as a women.
It's not like he revoked it, it's more like he didn't confirm/renew/requested it.
You don't have a "real" passport until you turn 18 -- in Belgium, may be different in other parts of the world.

When you turn 18, you have to formally register for an ID card. Those with a double nationality can choose to not apply for one and choose their other nationality.

I am not sure if applying for one nationality would have had consequences on the other nationality. There seem to be different regulations for that all over the world.

* If you are Dutch and apply for (and get) Swiss nationality, you will automatically lose Dutch nationality - as per Dutch law
* If you are Belgian and apply for (and get) Swiss nationality, you can still be Belgian as well

I live near the Dutch/Belgian border, and we have a broad mix of Belgian and Dutch people living here. As far as I know none of the adults has a double nationality (anymore), while some of the kids still do.
I am not sure if that's by law, or just their choice.

--

Frankly, I don't think there was much benefit for Max to be formally Dutch *and* Belgian -- if that was possible at all.
If he had picked up Belgian nationality (too), he would have been bound to a few Belgian annoyances: like for instance: voting is mandatory for every Belgian citizen.
Those regulations have since been eased a bit for Belgians living abroad, but I can't imagine Max being very interested in that.

I don't think a Belgian nationality would offer him any benefits that he didn't already get through his Dutch nationality.

(Of course that's totally different for non-European people who combine their original nationality with Belgian or Dutch or ... )

--

Of course, I agree that Belgium still means something special to Max even if he is not formally half-Belgian anymore, be it by choice or by law.