Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3851617)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
like how you broke it down Skam85 so im going to use a similar format.

without numbers and what not, what follows is just a long but lose outline.

Points system:

this i would change as i have always found the points system a bit muddled. effectively every team/driver is still being ranked and those who dont score still hold a position used for when a count back is needed to settle the final classification.

handing out points for each finish would make the points table easier to follow. im a believer that tables and graphs should contain as much information as possible and non points finishes (represented by a dash on the table) does not clearly and easily reflect what transpired in a race.

Penalty/stewards:

largely agree on there being a permanent group of stewards who should be paid adequately and trained accordingly.

i am slightly hesitant to place a hard code/system down at the onset but would prefer a gradual transition from what exists now to allow the permanent group to establish their own code based on their past experience, training, and experience as the system evolves. incidents can often be very subjective so that will always be difficult so this one will take time imo.

but immediately i would like to see very strict guidelines placed on track limits. there should never be a situation where drivers get to feel out a track to see what they can get away with. this is an area that requires very little clarification for me.

Money and budget

Budget caps:

this is where my big change will be. like you i agree a soft cap with a luxury tax being placed on those who go over.

to borrow from the NBA, i would be more aggressive on it though. if the budget is $200mil (which i think is in the right neighbourhood for year 1) for every dollar over that there is a dollar in tax due.

if a teams goes above the budget to lets say $250mil (so 50mil over budget) then the tax increase to to 2 dollars in tax for every dollar in excess of 250mil. those who go over in multiple consecutive season will have to pay an additional escalator.

tax money of course to be redistributed among those teams that play below the budget.

*not entirely sure what i would include/exclude in that budget though. personally i dont think R&D budgets should be included. a. it would be too hard to monitor and b. i would not want to risk stagnation as teams dont develop for fear of going over the budget cap. smaller teams could them use their tax revenue to subsidize their own r&d projects and not have to rely on tech transfer from the big teams only (who knows where the next double diffuser idea will come from so lets encourage it coming from a small team).

also i think excluding R&D opens up the potential to justify a fixed price for engines...rather if R&D is included in the budget and the manu teams have to eat a luxury tax for it then they will have no choice but to pass that cost onto their customers - basically redistribute the luxury tax among themselves thus minimizing the effectiveness of the tax imo.

Financial redistribution:

hard pressed to place a percentage on this. on one hand i think FOM needs to invest more into the sport (fund their own R&D, develop safety, pay for better stewards, etc) so take that money off of the top. then they need their cut/reasonable return on their investment.

would like to see FOM take less from the tracks as well and done so in a way that allows the races to be financially viable for the hosts and in a way that keeps ticket prices down (ideally i would like to see a fixed pricing model for tickets outside of the VIP and hospitality areas.)

money should then be distributed to the teams via prize money based on finishing position.

would also like to see prize money paid directly to the drivers based on their finishing positions/points total. if pay drivers are going to be a thing then drivers who compete in an F1 race should receive a flow of income from the sport to help fund their future drives. (points for all drivers comes into play here).

no historical payments. historical teams already have a marketing and advertising advantage...let them monetize that.

new teams are eligible for distribution money.

(will take more thought to come up with the percentages though)

Aerodynamic and engine regulations

i would leave this largely as is as i do believe that teams should a. have the freedom to develop as they see fit (within their budgets of course) and i do believe that once money is equalized and budgets in place that the competition divide/gap will decrease and the cars will be closer on the grid.

the establishment of an ongoing working group made up of representatives from all the parties. permanent in nature with a goal of ensuring continuity across seasons and a goal of achieving a coordinated technological vision of future. whether that means replacing aero for mechanical, more or less safety, full cockpit vs no cockpit etc.

im under no illusions that there will ever be a consensus in direction, but the hope is that with an ongoing organization their will be more discussion and decisions will be made on an ongoing basis and not just when the next concorde agreement is about to be renegotiated.

that said, i would implement a hard cap for customer engine prices and the manus will need to rely on their road car divisions to recoup their r&d investments.

to be honest i dont have a preference for hybrid vs no hybrid...as long as it comes under the price cap the manus can decide among themselves.

a large relaxation on the allotment rules and teams can opt to use more engines provided they abide by the budget and luxury tax rules.

Tyres

for the time being i would leave this as a single supplier formula but under the condition that teams are free to chose their allotments as they see fit. every compound should be available at each race (FOM will course have to subsidize the transportation costs).

Qualifying and Parc Ferme

quali i would leave as is but i like the idea of opening up parc ferme and the reintroduction of quali trims (plus points for quali)

if a team can find a way under the budget cap to build a quali only car then so be it.

Testing

i would like to see more in season testing but not sure how such expenses would work under a budget cap scenario.

exempting it under the budget cap might prove difficult to analyze as teams will be using a variety of parts that may or may never be used during a race.

for the time being i would restrict testing as a means of controlling costs.

Data Acquisition

the only real time data acquisition will be between cars and their pits...no transmission to their data centres during the race. races need to be competed by those at the track. after the race spend all the time you want back at base going over the data.

Staff Size

seriously curtail the numbers but i would hope that a budget cap will take care of this by virtue of operating under a budget.

hate to advocate anything that will see people lose their jobs but all things being equal those that remain will be the best of the bunch.

Driver Challenge

a whole host of things that increase the mental and physical exertion a driver has to go through for a race.

cars that are more difficult/demanding to drive. manual transmissions and less help help from the data centre.

Broadcasting

a free online broadcast of the race at a lower resolution.

those who want to pay for 4K, HD, the associated apps, cable subscriptions etc still have a reason to do so but a free online broadcast will help increase the audience and sponsor value.