View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2016, 09:08 (Ref:3677436)   #19
JamieStewart9
Rookie

JamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_blakemore View Post
Ok Dave, maybe a better question would be why do they exsist? According to previous posts they are run mostly by ex BARC people who are the club that got the circuit into the mess its in and they offer nothing other clubs such as CSCC, BRSCC, 750MC etc have a proven track record in. No wonder real motorsport have little confidence or time in them.
They exist in order to fill the dates that other clubs will not take (a lot of dates) and because BARC were seen as Persona Non Grata after the original collapse of Mallory Park Motorsport.
All of the clubs you mention could easily take those dates and would almost certainly go straight to the front of the queue if they showed an interest.

To be fair Alan and Noreen are great people with their hearts firmly in club motorsport. They certainly aren't in it for their own gain and I think they just want to keep motorsport alive at Mallory Park, which is a good thing by any standards.

My own question would be "Why do the car clubs not see the logic of putting on events at Mallory Park and other less glamorous circuits?"

I would take a stab at the answer and say that it's jointly because:-
1) Most clubs have set up direct circuit affiliations with other venues.
2) There are too many clubs fighting over too few viable championships.
3) Championship co-ordinators are being allowed to dictate to hosting clubs where they want to go and the clubs are too weak to decide on the calendars themselves (some of that is because they are afraid that those championships will defect to an alternate club - MSVR springs to mind).
4) Directly linked to #3 - There is a general lack of quality leadership with any forward vision in car motorsport at the moment. (That is also true for bikes btw)

I do not pretend to have solutions to all of those things, but I do know that if someone doesn't come up with a better way forward, Mallory Park and the current Silverstone/BRDC mess won't be the only things that end up going to hell in a handcart.