View Single Post
Old 4 Jun 2018, 20:23 (Ref:3826844)   #320
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
How are they going to manage multiple regional series when one national series doesn't work well? And what tracks? I don't think there's enough to warrant a NE series with Lime Rock and Watkins Glen, the Jersey track was terrible. Then what do you add, more club tracks or start making rovals?

SE is even tougher with the tracks you really want owned or controlled by your competition. They won't be able to run Daytona, Sebring or Road Atlanta so you're left with VIR, that "track" outside of New Orleans or the club circuit here outside of Atlanta or a few others.

It just seems like a tall ask to get regional series in a country that just doesn't care about sportscars. And in a series that's already had trouble, somehow SRO is going to magically find money, drivers and tracks? And it seems more than a few of the old PWC TC teams have little interest in GT4 unless they can find a fully funded driver. And a few have seemed to bemoan the loss of the shop built cars that used to be the backbone of WC. To me that was a lot of the series, guys like Davis and his million dollar Mustang in GT against the Caddies and Audis and all the smaller teams building their own cars. Sadly I do concede that day has gone not likely to return any time soon.

I find it hard to believe that they can't run GT3 and GT4 at every track that SCCA Club or NASA runs at. This is a regional series where you learn the SRO way of racing then try out your hand at the big time when they come to town. It becomes a ladder series like they do in Europe. I know that NJMP might not be what you'd want to see for the big time pro GT3 and GT4 teams at but it's more than suffice for the regional series. Plus some of the tracks that are not on the IMSA or PWC calendar is where most teams test and thus, if they test there, those tracks must be able to handle the speed that GT3 and GT4 cars run at today.

Forget about shop built cars. Shops are not smart enough any more and it doesn't work in the overall plan for the SRO anyway. As we all know, GT3 and GT4 are for major manufacturers that build lots of cars, not the one off shops. Plus it's impossible to BoP those cars because if someone builds a better Camaro or Porsche than the factory and you let them get away with it, the sponsorship money goes away. Nobody wants that.

As for TC, TCR and TCA, they are just a nuisance and the SRO needs to tell them to take a hike or just upgrade to GT3 or GT4. We don't need those low buck teams just lowering the bar of professionalism in the paddock. They can run Trans-Am if they want to.

Plus, isn't PWC running a race at a NASCAR track? That's not supposed to happen according to the intranets.