View Single Post
Old 9 May 2018, 18:13 (Ref:3821107)   #42
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Liberty now saying they want to abolish all grid penalties.

Cue people on FB and Twitter saying what a great idea that is followed a few races after it happens by the same people moaning about teams not getting grid penalties for deliberate acts.
It may sound obvious, but I think the goal of grid penalties is to impact race results. Such as you do something wrong, you should not be rewarded with standing on the podium.

If we talk about other types of penalties (i.e. points, or monetary fines), then we increase the risk of situations in which someone "wins" the race, but really doesn't win (i.e. no or reduced points) or the win was bought (i.e. financial penalty allows unfair advantage to remain). Fan outcry will be just as intense.

I think the solution for grid penalties is to... rework the rules so that it is less likely for teams to incur infractions that would trigger grid penalties. With many being longevity requirements that clearly manufactures have a hard time achieving. In short, clearly the system of power unit component longevity requirement is the root cause and is broken. Fix that, not the penalty system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If it's deliberate, then impose the penalty or fine the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Exactly, don’t punish every mistake
I would love to see how rules can be written in a way to segregate purposeful and accidental infractions. Can of worms!

"Sorry! We didn't mean for the car to be underweight! We will do better next time. We do get to keep the win right?"

Richard